[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: Humph

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 15:18:22 PDT 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Marek Boym <marekboym at gmail.com>
Date: 07-Sep-2007 01:17
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Humph
To: pat ladd <pj.ladd at btinternet.com>

Hello Pat,
humph switched to waht is called "mainstream" in Britain and "swing"
in the States in the 1950's!  I have some beautiful swing records by
his band.
Then, in the early to mid-60's he had waht, to my ears, sounded bland
"cool" modern band, with Tony Coe and another saxophone palyer.  I
heard taht band in 1964, and it was one of the greatest
disappointments of my life!
But later he became "penitent" and returned to swing, with Bruce
Turner (the "dirty bopper" of Manchester), Kathy Stobart, and various
other excellent musicians.  I heard Humph live again in 1976, and it
was great (but not dixieland), and on a few later occasions.
Recently I bought an LP (second hand), with music ranging from the
sublime (the best version of "Happy Go Lucky Local" I've ever heard,
and I've heard a few by the Duke) to ridiculous "fusion" (again, to my
ears, but I am, after all, a rather mouldy fig).
Cheers