[Dixielandjazz] Vibrator Reeds - was Metal Clarinets

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Sep 4 10:01:27 PDT 2007

Didn't the Vibrator reed morph into Rico.  Today there are a dozen or so
ligatures that try to mimic what the grooves did in those reeds.  It was
probably just a gimmick but I'm surprised that someone hasn't put grooves in
their reeds.  I liked the reeds but I was just a kid when they went out of
business so I don't know if they were very good or not.

Speaking of plastic reeds.  When I was teaching I was forever going to my
office a few feet away and picking up some woodwind or another and playing a
line or two for a student.  It was like a private lesson situation.  I found
that while the fibercane reeds were not too good they worked out because I
didn't have to soak them up.  UNTIL I got a microscopic splinter in my lower
lip and the thing got infected.  What a mess I had for a couple of weeks.
It cost me a half a dozen jobs.  Needless to say never again.

The only mishap I ever had with a regular reed was when I was playing a
concert at a Veteran's hospital in Gulfport MS with the AF band.  The big
band was playing and I was on lead tenor.  I stood up to blow a solo and
caught the pad guard on the chair which caused the mouthpiece to make a
quick slash to the left just as I was putting it in my mouth.  It laid open
my tongue pretty good.  I finished the concert (Ouch!) and it had stopped
bleeding but boy was I an unhappy camper for a week.  You do not want
stitches in the tongue.
Larry
St. Louis