[Dixielandjazz] Elazar's Wedding Gig

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 3 20:43:12 PDT 2007

I agree 100% with Bob Ringwald, Elazar.

You did fine.

Your friend has huge balls to think he should have been paid the full boat
after showing up without a playable instrument. Especially since you hired
him as a pianist, and because he wasn't able to perform as a pianist you
took less money for the gig.

Like Bob said, I would never hire him again either.

15 years ago, I had a bass player cancel a gig with me less than 24 hours in
advance, and not provide a sub, leaving me to scramble for a replacement.
Reason? He said a good client asked him to play a last minute gig and how
could he refuse? Yeah right, he took a higher paying gig at the last moment
with another band.

I never hired him again. But living well is the best revenge. Every once in
a while I run across him and he asks why, since Barbone Street has so many
gigs, I never hire him. I just smile, compliment his playing and say my
regulars are doing all the gigs.

He was my 1st call bass back then when we only did about 20 gigs a year. Now
that we are much busier, he regrets hanging us up at the last moment for a
few extra shekels. (he would have earned much more then he did musically
over those 15 years had he kept his commitment to me)

Cheers,
Steve Barbone