[Dixielandjazz] Metal Clarinets

Andy.Ling at Quantel.Com Andy.Ling at Quantel.Com
Mon Sep 3 06:19:02 PDT 2007

> I read some time ago that Lester Young used to play on a metal
> clarinet. What are the sound qualities and benefits to having a
> metal versus wood? Were most of these metal ones an Albert
> system type? I think I remember hearing that metal clarinets are
> long out of production.
>
> Mike

I think most metal clarinets were the Boehem system. The main
advantage was that they didn't crack an so could withstand
much more abuse than a wooden one. This has been largely
superseded by the modern plastic clarinet.

They suffered more with temperature variations and of course
the big problem was, you had to be a lot more careful
insulating the wire when turning them into a lamp stand :-)

They still crop up from time to time on ebay and the like.

Andy Ling

--
This e-mail is intended for the named addressees only. Its contents may be
privileged or confidential and should be treated as such. If you are not