[Dixielandjazz] Pancho Villa

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Oct 31 14:28:22 PDT 2007

Don Ingle wrote [in part]:
> The names of some sidemen with the Seger Ellis band caught my
> attention. Trumperer Don Anderson and trombonist John Stanley were
> with Spike Jones at the time (1943) that my father, Red Ingle joined
> that band and made many of the recordings of that Blubird period. King
> Jackson was also with Jones a bit earleir, but was a long time fixture
> with the Red Nichols Pennies in 'the 40's.
> Most of these men were active in the
> studio/transcription/recording/radio and other gigging circles in L.A.
> at that time.

Dear Don,
When I included the personnel for the Seger Ellis Choir orch, I guessed
that it would jog your memory, knowing that
Don Anderson, John Stanley, King Jackson and Stan Wrightsman were with
Spike Jones a little later on.
(Me, as you know, being a Spike Jones' fan from the mid 40s. The same
time I discovered jazz.)
Hence my comment that "perhaps we should be searching the 1930s list of
West Coast studio musicians" for the elusive 'Pancho' Villa.
Very kind regards,
Bill.