[Dixielandjazz] "Perfect" Recordings

pat ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Wed Oct 31 12:05:56 PDT 2007

There are manytools available to help create a pleasing presentation. Why
not use them when it makes sense?>>

Hi,
that is the crux of course `when it makes sense`.

I remember many years ago before the `D. J` had been invented there was a
knowledgeable character who `played records` on the BBC. He was well
respected but he began to raise questions about the practice of producing
records which had been `doctored`.
Again this is a question of `when it makes sense` but the point the guy made
was that fans buy records or hear records played on the air and on that
basis  they pay large amounts to hear bands on stage when in some cases the
band cannot replicate on stage.what there is on the record.

I think he must have ruffled some feathers in the record industry because as
I recall he didn`t last too long after he kicked up a fuss.

On a slightly different tack how did the bands which made the 78`s to which
we used to listen, manage it?.  They would turn up to make a record after
playing a gig all evening, puit the thing down in a couple of taked before
getting on the bus and driving  long distances to the next night gig.
Nowadays a band seems to go into retirement for ten years to produce an new
album. I see that some mob called the Eagles has produced  something at the
moment which has knocked Britney off the top sales spot. This is their first
record for 27 years. 3 years before Britney was born. Good grief. What have
they been living on in the meantime?

Cheers

{at

Cheers