[Dixielandjazz] "Perfect" Recordings

Paul Edgerton paul.edgerton at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 11:13:44 PDT 2007

On this subject I am in agreement with Kash, whose own work shows
considerable mastery of the art.

Recording as art is rather like photography. The usual goal may be to
get a convincing likeness, but it doesn't *have* to be that way. And
even a convincing likeness isn't an exact reproduction. There are many
tools available to help create a pleasing presentation. Why not use
them when it makes sense?

The "purist" approach both has both advantages and disadvantages. But
in the end, it is only one possible way of presenting an actual
performance of music. Very few people get fourth-row, center section
seats... Almost nobody gets to sit in the middle of the band, but it's
a great way to listen to music, and with the right recording
techniques, we can provide that illusion to anybody who wants it.

If art is supposed to be indistinguishable from life, what is its point?

-- Paul Edgerton