[Dixielandjazz] Fixing recordings

Phil O'Rourke philor at webone.com.au
Tue Oct 30 15:26:32 PDT 2007

Steve Barbone saith

> Far be it from me to disparage others who fix errors on recordings. I can
> understand why they feel that way and wish them well.
>
> As for me, give me on record what was actually played. I prefer the
recorded
> sound to be as close to what the players actually sounded like when they
> were creating the music. And I prefer, if it was live, to have as much of
> the audience reaction as possible in the mix. Like Ellington at Newport
with
> Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue.

Steve, How many muso's have you heard say "that is a terrible room to play
in" or listeners saying the same thing about listening in some rooms.
Recordings are made in these circumstances (Legally or otherwise) but I
would not like to hear them; flat and dull, too much "sound bounce" or many
other failures.
These can be fixed and made sound acceptable through to very good with
today's techniques and software.
I want to hear the band at it's best sound, not how they sounded when
recorded.
There is too much music out there that has to be "massaged" to bring out the
best sound.

I agree that the occasional "clanger" could be left in, the musicians are
only human (not perfect in most occasions).  :-)

Phil OR