[Dixielandjazz] Fixing recordings

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Tue Oct 30 10:25:17 PDT 2007

Steve wrote:
>We all hear differently. To Bob and Kash, they want precision.

Dunno where you got that from!  I said the music was "all important", and I
will always try not to "disturb" the music for precision's sake. I can play
heavily arranged music (as you put it), but certainly don't do that with my
band, either.  But, back to recording.......

For example, there is a fine line to be drawn when removing flaws.  Digital
pops in a poor recording can quite often happen in groups.  If you have 3
clicks in a small time frame, removing one of them can render the other two
almost unnoticeable.  They're still there, but the mind doesn't seem to pay
attention, so you don't have to remove all of them.  Put the third one back
in & you hear all 3!  I'm talking about removing in a scale of nano seconds,
before anyone thinks about huge holes!

As I said, if one doesn't know what can be done, then one shouldn't make an
opinion.
Of these recordings you speak, it is impossible to say how much treatment
went on in post production, so one shouldn't assume there wasn't any done.

I once said to some big shots at Warner Music when they received my invoice
for a large amount of money for a post production job:  "if you can hear
what I've done on the recording, then I haven't done it well"!

Steve continues:
>So I don't mind mistakes and actually prefer to hear them. One wrong note
in a Basie/Sinatra recording isn't going to bother me one bit.

I'll bet it just killed the poor trombonist that honked that note everytime
he hears/heard it!  I know I feel for him each time I listen to it.  :>

Jim