[Dixielandjazz] fixing

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon Oct 29 15:12:18 PDT 2007

These remarks about not "fixing" recordings is nothing less than ridiculous,
and only shows that the person speaking has had little or no experience in
the recording field.  By the way,I am not referring to anything Bob Ringwald
has been saying, as I fully agree that "everything" should not be repaired
in a recording.  I am the first to say that I don't approve of the "every
measure fix", or the live recording where everything except the bass line is
dumped, and everything is dubbed in new (I've seen both being done!).

That, however, has nothing to do with what is normally done (yes, even in
Jazz!) either during a session or in mixing, post production & mastering.
It is just part of the art of recording.  The one rule is "the music is what
counts".  Any so called fixing that respects that rule is fine & IS
done...all the time.

There are those that say one shouldn't touch the recorded music with
(digital) scissors, or with added reverbs, or any other of the industry's
cherished tricks.  I have respectable, professional tools at my hands.  Am I
not to use those and all the knowledge I have?

I have a CD of the Sand's Hotel concert of (if memory serves me) Frank
Sinatra with Count Basie's band.  Can't remember the song, but there is a
trombonist that comes in one very glaring note ahead of the whole brass
section.  I can't help but think that that musician would have loved someone
to pull that note out, so the whole world didn't have to listen to it over &
over & over.  It is a surgery that takes approx 5 seconds, and has no bad
effect on the overall music.  I would remove it without a single thought of
remourse.  That note, in a live concert, would be forgotten in a flash, and
most probably wouldn't even have heard it.  But, on the recording, it is
there for ever & ever.

What about eq'ing, compression, filters, levels?  Oh, no.  Just record it
"straight".  Foolishness!  How about the decisions such as how much space to
leave between songs, which song should follow which due to keys or tempos?
It is all part of the post production process.  What would the advocate of
the "don't fix anything" attitude do with these tools that are used by the
experienced professional?  Would he leave it in the order of the original
recording?  "Oh, it was recorded in that order, so we can't possibly touch
it!"  All foolishness, and shows lack of artistic talent & ideas.

And, it shows a complete lack of what CAN be done in the recording studio to
better the recorded performance.  So, if you haven't been there & done it,
one should not make comments.

Jim