[Dixielandjazz] Big Business & Music

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 29 13:56:59 PDT 2007

Sorry about the off topic examples. Just wanted to show that there are
victims of big business/government practices in all forms, not just music.

Perhaps I read too much into the many posts on the DJML that seem to me to
indicate an "entitlement" attitude. Namely, that because we play good music,
we have an inherent right to an audience. That they should beat a path to
our door, however are too stupid regarding musical taste to do so. And that
somehow, this is the fault of the Media, Big Music Companies, lack of
Government support for the arts, no school programs, etc.

In my opinion, the worldwide audience owes a musician or band absolutely
nothing. If we want an audience then we have to go get an audience. I agree
with Phil, that few of us (musicians) do that.

Reminds me of when I was 54 and just lost my job as VP Marketing & Sales of
a medium sized automotive parts manufacturer. We had just been acquired by a
giant in the industry and they had their own sales/marketing people in
place. I was feeling very sorry for myself at dinner with some young friends
when the wife of one of them said, "just go get another job, or go into
business for yourself." But I'm 54 said I, who wants to hire a new guy that
age for a major position at my earnings level?

"Quit thinking like an old man" she answered, "you'll get there soon enough.
54 is young and with your experience and business contacts, getting what you
want should be a snap."

She snapped out of my "victim" attitude and I started to market myself.
Turns out, since I had authored numerous articles in trade publications and
was indeed well known in the industry as a bottom line producer, getting a
new challenge was a snap. "You are famous in Japan" (his exact words) said
the head of one Japanese company, among 2 that offered immediate employment.
I chose an American Company, a 13 billion dollar conglomerate, as President
of a major division. Retired 7 years later with a bundle of money and got
back into music.

I think the lack of OKOM appreciation is certainly a challenge. But, like
Phil says, there are ways to get that appreciation. There will always be the
"Yes, But" naysayers. The activists among us should just ignore them and
follow our dreams.

OKOM example? Well, Don Mopsick and I have certainly had our disagreements,
but The Jim Cullum jazz band presents a case in point. Things probably
looked bleak for them when they lost See's Candies as a major sponsor. They
could have just thrown in the towel and become victims of a Big Business
deserting them. But I don't think they did. Don is a much better source than
I about their current status, but just last night on the way home from a
gig, I heard them on the Philadelphia Jazz Radio station with a public radio
program of "one Hit Wonders". And they had a new sponsor.

Local case in point is Ed Wise and his New Orleans Jazz Band. He moved here
after Katrina and is presenting his programs at some neat venues, and also
making a living as a sideman in various venues. Meanwhile, others in
Philadelphia say there is no OKOM work here.

Entitlements? Isn't this still the land of opportunity? Sure it is, but you
have to go get it. Always been that way. Some band leaders on the DJML are
doing just that, and some are not. Simple as that.

Musical "victims" are all around us and always will be, that's just the way
it is. Some people just make poor choices, and/or don't fight back.

It's not enough to hear opportunity knocking, you have to answer the door.
Note these words from a working avant garde jazz musician (formerly OKOM)
who recently wrote me after 50 years of not hearing from each other. His
choice to get heard, make a few bucks, follow his dream, is described as;

"Yep, all over the globe now. USA not that much in the cards. As if it ever
was. So it's been West Africa, Asia, Cuba/Puerto Rico and still looking."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone