[Dixielandjazz] ? Slightly our of period - "Take the A Train" changes

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Sat Oct 27 14:28:08 PDT 2007

Ric;

I did a quick check and discovered another Billy Strayhorn version of
"A-Train". This time, Billy leads a small group consisting of Clark Terry
(tp & flgl), Bob Wilber (reeds), Wendell Marshall (bass), & Dave Bailey
(drums). This version was recorded on June 30, 1965 and is on the Red Baron
CD "Lush Life" - catalog AK52760.

Since Billy was the sole soloist on the version with the Paris Strings, it
would reflect more of how Billy may have wanted "A-Train" performed.

That said, I don't know how much influence Duke Ellington had on Billy's
arrangement for his band in the early 40's. My own feeling is that, like
many composers, most of Billy's arrangements and performances reflect his
feelings and sensibilities at the time.

Stan
Stan Brager