[Dixielandjazz] Why is it that big business always gets a hold of art and takes the

Rob Wright rwright at siatucson.com
Fri Oct 26 13:57:10 PDT 2007

I think this is an interesting question about art in general.  Having a
liberal arts education along with many years as a professional musician and
being a successful business man after all that, I have made a few general
observations over the years that I would like to share.  The first being,
most of the people who claim to be artists are not.  We all know many
musicians who get paid occasionally to do gigs, usually not very much money,
never-the-less they consider themselves to be "professionals" at best and
artists at least.  In summary, most artists are just not very good.  Yet so
many poor artists have the arrogance to believe that they are the ones who
see the truth and that the people who won't pay them are ignorant.  I think
it is usually the other way around!  I was on my local Arts Advisory Councel
for several years and I still shake my head at the nerve of some
people/artists and their lack of objectivity.

Second, most successful artists I have met , ie those who are able to make a
living at it, are resourcefull, imaginitive, and innovative business people
themselves.  I cannot for the life of me understand the attitude that
artists who make it commercially have somehow sold out.  That's nothing more
than sour grapes in my opinion.

My life experience in music is as follows:  My dad got me playing the banjo
when I was ten years old because he thought it would be fun for me if I
could play at parties.  I started a band at sixteen and really enjoyed
performing.  In college they would not let me major on banjo so after
failing at three different majors, I dropped out and went off to seek my
fortune playing the banjo.  I learned right away I had to sing to get hired
in a bar.  Then I found out I did not know very many songs people wanted to
hear.  Then I learned that the songs they wanted to hear did not work very
well on the banjo.  Next I got hired by The New Christy Minstrels because I
could play a good banjo solo and was willing to try and sing.  So about five
songs used banjo and the rest were all guitar.  I learned to play the
guitar.  After living out of a suitcase over a year I quit and got married.

Out of the fire and into the frying pan!  My new wife would not let me
perform in bars without her so we formed a duo.  The only way to make a
decent living was to go back on the road.  Nobody cared about tin pan alley
or folk music so I had to learn country and rock and roll!  After a few
years of that I got tired of hotels and playing standards every night hardly
ever playing my banjo.  So I quit!  I finshed college and moved to Tucson.
I did not tell anyone I play guitar.  I became a financial advisor and
played a little dixieland occasionally with my banjo.

I got a call from some professors at the U of Arizona who were starting to
explore traditional jazz and wanted to autition me.  We started The Original
Wildcat Jazz Band and have become a very busy, well paid professional band.
I have gone full circle except, now I have a nice big house, three cars, a
very nice banjo and I can afford to eat at the venues where we play!  And my
wife stays home watching TEVO!  We only travel a few times a year to boot.
It's all good!  Am I a musicisn?  Yes.  Am I an artist?  Maybe.  Am I happy
and fulfilled?  You bet your booties!  Rob