[Dixielandjazz] Why is it that big business always gets a hold of art and takes the life> blood out of it?

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 26 08:28:48 PDT 2007

on 10/26/07 9:19 AM, Ron L at lherault at bu.edu wrote:

> If you want to change/update traditional jazz/Dixieland, I think that puts
> you in the same boat as guys who modify vintage cars.  You start with a nice
> TR-6, let's say or you fix up the body and frame of one to look good, then
> you put in a ford V8, add the transmission from a Chevy and the differential
> from a Nissan.  You put on Honda brakes and change the suspension to tube
> shocks all-round.  You no longer have a TR-6.  It may look like a TR-6 but
> it does not drive, feel or sound like a TR-6.  It's not a bad thing unless
> there are no more TR-6s around because everyone has modified their vehicles.
>
> Frankly, I like driving my TR-6.  I like the roughish ride and the
> suspension foibles.  I love the way the engine sounds and smells.  These are
> some of the reasons I bought the car in the first place and I don't want to
> force you into driving it. And, I don't want to drive a Franken-6, thank
> you.  So here we have a style of music.   I like this style.  I like the
> sound of it, the rhythm, the melodies.  Screw with any of that and it is no
> longer the same music.  Chances are, I'm not going to be moved by the result
> the way the original style moves(d) me.  Yes, Armstrong, Bix and Condon (to
> name a few) were innovative but what they arrived at is where I want to be.
> I don't want to drive a tin lizzie (well, actually I do, but I don't want to
> own one).  I like the innovations in the sports car up to the point of the
> TR-6.  The Miata does not have the charm of the 6 for me despite the
> similarities.  I like jazz where it was in the 20s-early 40s.  I have not
> been enthused by the more modern innovations, despite the similarities.

Good points Ron. As for me, I like the the innovations in sports cars right
up to the present time. I'd rather have a Turbo Porsche or Ferrari 599 than
a TR6. Same with music. I enjoy hearing a current Dixieland Band sounding
like itself and bringing something new to the party rather than sounding
like someone from the past. Shoot, I prefer Louis and the All Stars from
1947 on over the bands of the 20s, 30s and early 40s.

By the same token, I fondly remember my 1955 300SL Gullwing which I sold in
1980 after 140,000 miles. I'd still get a kick out of driving/racing it
today . . . but only once in a while to go down memory lane.

Same for the music.

But then, different points of view are what makes the world interesting.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone