[Dixielandjazz] Why is it that big business always gets a hold of art and takes the life> blood out of it?

Ron L lherault at bu.edu
Fri Oct 26 06:19:31 PDT 2007

If you want to change/update traditional jazz/Dixieland, I think that puts
you in the same boat as guys who modify vintage cars.  You start with a nice
TR-6, let's say or you fix up the body and frame of one to look good, then
you put in a ford V8, add the transmission from a Chevy and the differential
from a Nissan.  You put on Honda brakes and change the suspension to tube
shocks all-round.  You no longer have a TR-6.  It may look like a TR-6 but
it does not drive, feel or sound like a TR-6.  It's not a bad thing unless
there are no more TR-6s around because everyone has modified their vehicles.

Frankly, I like driving my TR-6.  I like the roughish ride and the
suspension foibles.  I love the way the engine sounds and smells.  These are
some of the reasons I bought the car in the first place and I don't want to
force you into driving it. And, I don't want to drive a Franken-6, thank
you.  So here we have a style of music.   I like this style.  I like the
sound of it, the rhythm, the melodies.  Screw with any of that and it is no
longer the same music.  Chances are, I'm not going to be moved by the result
the way the original style moves(d) me.  Yes, Armstrong, Bix and Condon (to
name a few) were innovative but what they arrived at is where I want to be.
I don't want to drive a tin lizzie (well, actually I do, but I don't want to
own one).  I like the innovations in the sports car up to the point of the
TR-6.  The Miata does not have the charm of the 6 for me despite the
similarities.  I like jazz where it was in the 20s-early 40s.  I have not
been enthused by the more modern innovations, despite the similarities.

Ron L