[Dixielandjazz] That Funny Jas Band From Dixieland

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Oct 25 15:43:30 PDT 2007

Why is it that big business always gets a hold of art and takes the life
> blood out of it?

Well the way music is played often has to do with what the particular
audience wants or what the band or music producers think will sell.  Sorry
if I offend the true music gourmets out there but 90% (well a lot anyway) of
the listeners really don't like jazz as much as they like other things.
What they like is tunes and sometimes it's hokey.

Just an example.  Yesterday I played a 50's sock hop.  The first three tunes
we played got little reaction.  The people just sort of stared at us
until.......we played How Much Is That Doggie In the Window?  We got half
the people up and they danced.  They even clapped.  Go figure.

It's not always big business.  Like today, musicians at that time probably
wanted to make money and if you are making a living at it and you are trying
to sell records or book engagements you can't always be true to your
feelings of what Jazz really is.  I think Pogo had it right, "We have found
the enemy and he is us."

Novelty and Hoke sells.  As they say " A little Bit of Sugar Helps The
Medicine Go Down".  If you want to play jazz try a little hoke so that the
other people can get something out of your performance.  That doesn't mean
you have to go stupid but some novelty helps.  Why do you suppose people
like bands with a washboard in it?  It's the novelty and they like to watch
the guy play.  Just what's wrong with people enjoying themselves or playing
to that desire?

I know a band that does Be Bop and are just really good at it with killer
musicians.  I'll tell you right now I book circles around them, yet every
one of them plays better than I even hope to in the next life.  Maybe I know
something they don't.
Larry
St. Louis