[Dixielandjazz] That Funny Jas Band From Dixieland

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Thu Oct 25 09:03:39 PDT 2007

 Marek Boym asks:

 > Any idea why I cannot get proper reception on redhotjazz?  It takes
> ages to downloead and then either stumbles, or is so noisy as to be
> impossible to listen!

Marek,

Do you have DSL, cable or dial up on telephone for your Internet service
provider?

The recording in question, " That Funny Jas Band From Dixieland" sounds very
commercial for the time.  Doesn't sound like what I imagine the real Jass
bands of the era were playing.  It is more of a novelty, Ragtime piece.

While we do not have a recording of the black bands of that era, shortly
after, in 1922 or so we hear Kid Ory playing the real stuff.

Why is it that big business always gets a hold of art and takes the life
blood out of it?

It happened with Tin Pan Alley in the 20s & 30s and of course, is still
happening today.

--Bob Ringwald

Fulton Street Jazz Band