[Dixielandjazz] Wireless Mikes

David Livingston snargi01 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 22 13:45:58 PDT 2007

Larry, you're in St. Louis. If you know Gerry Epperson of Cornet Chop Suey, talk to him. Sorry I don't have Gerry's e-mail. He uses wireless on his reeds all the time. As CCS is always at festivals with multiple venues where you generally have 15 mins or less to set up your sound, he might have some valuable tips.

Dave Livingston
Dixieland Gumbo Radio
http://www.dixielandgumbo.com

"Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis" <larrys.bands at charter.net> wrote: I have a question.  I want to go wireless as much as possible and at the same time lighten up the stuff I have to carry in for a gig.  The goal is to walk in, plug in the system and play.  Right now it takes me about a half hour to set up and tear down.  I want to be as self contained as possible.  If I could do that I could have almost everything in one box to roll in

To do that I need two things:  first a wireless mike.  I don't want to use one that has to be hand held or sit on a stand.  I want one of those over the ear jobs.  That's not a problem but I want to know if any horn players have used them and do they pick up sound off of the mouthpiece while you are playing.  That would be undesirable for me.  I sing and play and talk which causes me to need to switch rapidly.  Also that mike and mike stand gets in my way.  I also want to use an old fashioned megaphone sometimes and that's another reason I need a mike like that.  I played a gig last week and I was in the audience for the final tune and a wireless mike would have been great.  I can't carry one and play sax too.

Are there more feedback problems with this kind of mike?

The second thing is I would like to make my mixer wireless.  Is there anything I can plug it into that will transmit a stereo signal to my PA.  They have them that will transmit an FM signal from a device to your radio and I think there are wireless guitar pickups.  Is there anything like this on the market or am I stuck with wires?

Larry
St. Louis