[Dixielandjazz] Copyright--why am I not surprised?

Scott Anthony santh at pacbell.net
Sun Oct 21 11:56:44 PDT 2007

It is my understanding that all works published (or performed, which
constitutes publishing) before Jan 1, 1923 are in the public domain no
matter how long the original composers have been dead. However, arrangements
of tunes may still be protected, or lyrics written or changed after that
date could still be protected.

Also, once a tune is in the public domain, it can't be put back under
copyright protection.

The above appears to pertain only to the US. Outside the US there are
possibly other laws.

See http://www.pdinfo.com/copyrt.htm

Here's an excerpt (without the original formatting)

United States Copyright Law
US copyright law is found in Title 17 of the United States Code and is
administered by the US Copyright Office.   " Terms for Copyright
Protection", a U.S. Government publication, summarizes the current duration
of copyright protection for published works as follows:
Works created after 1/1/1978  -  life of the longest surviving author plus
70 years -  earliest possible PD date is 1/1/2048
Works registered before 1/1/1978  -  95 years from the date copyright was
secured.
Works registered before 1/1/1923 - Copyright protection for 75 years has
expired and these works are in the public domain.
The Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act was signed into law on October
27, 1998.  Prior to the Sonny Bono 20 year copyright term extension,
copyright protection for works registered before 1/1/1978 was 75 years;
therefore, compositions registered in 1922 or earlier entered the public
domain on 1/1/1998.  The 1998 copyright extension did not extend copyright
protection from 75 to 95 years for songs already in the public domain so . .
.
The Good News -  works published in the United States in 1922 or earlier are
in the public domain even if  they are not yet 95 years old.
The Bad News - no new works will enter the public domain until January 1,
2019.
You can confirm the above information about public domain and copyright
protection in "Extension of Copyright Terms", Circular 15t, of the U.S.
Copyright Office.  Specifically the last paragraph of Page 3 states in part
"Works published before January 1, 1923, have fallen into the public
domain."  We suggest that you print this circular and keep it as part of
your public domain research materials.