[Dixielandjazz] Whadya mean, you can't hear it??

eupher dude eupher61 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 19 04:21:22 PDT 2007

Bob, if anyone could hear "shithead" at the end of that tune (yes, the one on RHJA), it should be you!  ;)

I just listened to it there, also.  The first vocal, all's right.  After the second verse, the chorus definitely has Venuti's edition--it's not necessarily easy to hear him, it's not loud, but you can hear the difference in the sounds--the "sh" and the short "e".  At the very end, after a 6/8 instrumental chorus, there is no doubt a voice, sounding like a stereotypical pervert or something, says "Barnacle Bill the Shithead", and the "head" is held out over an 8 bar instrumental tag.

It's there, I promise you.

Hal, did you read the blurbs on those catalog pages and the writings, like the Goodman bio?  Every link that was sent mentions this specifically.

I don't think anyone makes a filter that would alter the language, or cut it out on only part of a recording.

I'm worried that you can't hear it.  Seriously, something is really wierd if you can't, at least at the end.  It's the only thing happening.  Time for a hearing test??  Not being a smartass "kid", but something is up.

steve "no hearing loss yet" hoog
quote:
From: "Robert S. Ringwald" <robert at ringwald.com>
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Barnacle Bill
Just listened to "Barnacle Bill The Sailor" at:

http://www.redhotjazz.com/hoagyo.html

On the 2nd chorus, Venuti clearly says "Barnacle Bill the shithead," several
times.  I hear nothing said at the end.

Is there more than one take perhaps?================
notice how I edited all the crap out of Bob's original post in order to quote it?  Try it...everyone else will like it!