[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Styles

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 07:20:23 PDT 2007

Hello,
Whatever we think or believe, most modernists discard all traditional
jazz as "Dixieland."
Not all.  I have a friend who says he cannot listen to Dixieland
anymore (he got rid of all those wonderful Condon records).  However,
he loves Turk Murphy, and has recently ordered a Capt'n John Handy-Kid
Thomas concert on two CDs; when asked about that, he answered: "That's
not dixieland, that's New Orleans," referring to both.
So much for our beloved classifications!
One more thing: If I were asked the question Ken addressed to Chris,
my answer whould be: "traditional," or, if that would not be
sufficient, "Dixieland."
Cheers