[Dixielandjazz] Uptown, downtown, all around the town

jazzchops at isp.com jazzchops at isp.com
Wed Oct 17 10:00:43 PDT 2007

>I am sure you are not alone in your opinion, Chris.

It doesn't really matter to me whether I'm alone or if there are others that
share my way of thinking. My point is I have spent enough time listening
and studying the music to formulate my own opinion. I don't need to refer
to some other person's system of codification to understand jazz history.
I'm sure Dave Robinson (and by extension, Tex Wyndham), have the best
intentions, and perhaps for the beginning student, they are useful. But
for me these over-simplified categorizations are meaningless. Once I heard
the Rhythmakers recordings with Red Allen, Pee Wee Russell, Tommy Dorsey,
Eddie Condon, Pops Foster and Zutty Singleton, I realized that pigeon
holes are for pigeons.

The bottom line is, when I'm listening to King Oliver's recordings I don't
give a hoot whether what they are playing is uptown, downtown, or in Lulu
White's chambers. I just listen and enjoy.

Sincerely,
Chris Tyle