[Dixielandjazz] Blind Willie Dunn: Oliver or Dorsey

jazzchops at isp.com jazzchops at isp.com
Wed Oct 17 09:53:33 PDT 2007

I believe it's Oliver on the Blue Blood/Jet Black record. If you give a
listen to Oliver's playing on the earlier session w/Clarence Williams, on
which he plays his own composition What You Want Me Do, (also on the
Victor recording), he sounds very similar.

Oliver had a way of hitting some notes dead square on the beat. Dorsey
didn't do that. I think Dorsey's recording of It's Right Here For You may
be a bit better example of him playing with the Harmon mute at a closer
tempo to Jet Black/Blue Blood.

Just for the record, I'm a big fan of Dorsey's trumpet playing. The total
opposite of his trombone approach.

Sante'
Chris Tyle