[Dixielandjazz] Big Bands & Charts

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 16 13:00:25 PDT 2007

Larry and Mike talked about charts with big bands and that if you gig
regularly, the need for the charts diminishes.

Brought to mind an experience I had in watching Count Basie perform in the
old restored theater in Lancaster PA during the mid 1970s.

We were sitting in one of those boxes at the side of the theater, up in the
air above the band, looking down at the stage and them.

Basie played for about 90 minutes, stands up, charts out, music open. But as
I recall, no one in that band turned a page during the entire performance.
In fact my box mates and I were commenting on it and paying a lot of
attention to see when someone would.

Later on, at the reception (It was a benefit concert for the local hospital)
I asked Basie about it. He gave me that sly grin and said something to the
effect that since they'd been playing these tunes for years everyone knew
his part from memory.

We later had a lot of fun reminiscing about his annual performances at
Birdland during Christmas week in the 1950s. Many of the NYC musicians went
there to see that great swing band if they had the chance. And musos like
Sarah Vaughn and Buddy Rich would often sit in.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone