[Dixielandjazz] Descriptions of Jazz Styles

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 16 07:28:47 PDT 2007

Stylistic descriptions of Dixieland, or Trad Jazz, or whatever you want to
call it have been around for as long as I can remember.

"Chicago Style" was a term commonly used 60 years ago, as were Nicksieland,
New York Style, San Francisco Revival Style, New Orleans Revival, etc., etc.

Folks like Wyndham and Robinson have simply codified some distinctions that
help classify the music so that those talking about it are on the same page.

Where on lives is not the descriptor of a style. e.g., I think Bob Ringwald
has described Fulton Street as Chicago style, yet he lives in Sacramento
California. (please correct me if I'm wrong Bob).

And Tex Wyndham, who describes his Red Lion Jazz Band as S.F. Revival style
lives in Mendenhall PA.

Why style descriptions? - Below from Dave Robinson's Style Guide:

start snip - - -

Why Draw These Lines at All?

There are many who sneer at any analysis of traditional jazz (or any other
music), stating that it is unimportant--or even destructive--to recognize
such categories as the above. I believe that the better we understand an art
form's inner workings, and the more we share that knowledge, the better that
art form can be appreciated.

Still, such categorization leads to labeling, which can be a dangerous
process. Labels must be used carefully and responsibly. If we use them
carelessly, the result can be that something we label is assumed, by
association, to have a certain characteristic that it does not in fact have,
or the reverse. The stylistic categories set out above are more safely
applied to individual performances than to artists. We must be wary of
"typecasting" artists (and such is not my intent in citing recorded examples
herein). And we must be careful to qualify our stylistic labels as we use
them.

Finally, it bears repeating that relatively few traditional jazz
performances are "pure" manifestations of any one style above. Mixing and
matching various stylistic elements is the norm--that is, after all, the
creative process. Traditional jazz is a kaleidoscope of styles, one that is
still being turned to create new colors.

© 1996 David F. Robinson, Jr.  End snip - - -

Especially important is Dave's opinion about styles being applied to
individual performances only, and the mixing and matching. In my band, we
play Chicago Style (unless you would understand what N.Y.- Kansas City style
means - my own descriptor). But when I play in Tex's Red Lions, we and I,
play S.F. Revival Style with a slight modification of band instrumentation.
Like Chris says, the generalizations really do not describe what any jazz
musician is doing, but they are the best device we have IMO.

Then again, there's a quote hanging out there attributed to various folks.
"Talking (writing) about music is like dancing about architecture."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone