[Dixielandjazz] Giving credit where credit is due

Daniel Crone daniel.crone at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 21:19:20 PDT 2007

In a 1965 cover of Green Onions by the Harry James Orchestra is a clarinet
solo that stands out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvBXKCFiZnI I was so impressed by it that I
had to figure out who he was. I'm not the only one, as some posts about this
song led me to this forum. The solo is unattributed. Two hours of web
sleuthing later, I've got 'the rest of story', as Paul Harvey says. By luck
or perhaps by providence,  the clarinetist is Bob Archilles. The rest of the
story is here.

Robert Achilles
Professor of Biblical Exposition
B.S., University of Illinois
M.Div., The Master's Seminary

Saved in 1971 at age 33, Bob enrolled in Talbot Seminary at age 40, leaving
behind a 20-year career as a professional musician and arranger. He
continued to attend school while simultaneously beginning a pastoral career
now spanning 26 years, finally receiving his M.Div. from The Master's
Seminary in 1992. Bob has been the Senior Pastor of four California
churches, two Baptist and two non-denominational. In 1988, Bob became the
founding pastor of Trinity Bible Church in Gilroy, California, retiring in
2003 after 15 years. He now holds the title of Pastor Emeritus. From 1996 to
2006, Bob has made 14 trips to the former Soviet Union to teach Theology and
Bible Exposition to Russian pastors and missionaries in eight different
Bible Institutes. Additionally, at the request of the Slavic Gospel
Association, Bob has taught Systematic Theology at the Odessa Theological
Seminary in Odessa, Ukraine. He currently serves as the Minister of Teaching
at Grace Church of Napa Valley. Bob lives in Yountville with his wife Judy.
They have three children and 15 grandchildren.

http://www.thecornerstoneseminary.org/faculty.html
http://www.mychurch.org/jonathan
http://www.gracenapa.org/staff_dtl.asp?id=18

I tried to send him an email but it bounced. So, here's some applause, only
42 years after the performance.