[Dixielandjazz] Stock charts

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Mon Oct 15 14:53:00 PDT 2007

A bit of history about this subject of stocks.
The famed Goldkette arrangement of Clementine began as a stock sent by
the publisher. Though most of it was played as is, Bill Challis made a
little tinkering here and there to mold it to the talent of the band.
Certainly Bix's classic solo was not something a Jack Mason type would
write out.
Consider the McKinney's Cottonpickers, one hot, hot band for its time.
Leader, arrranger and tenor man Don Redman rewrote a number of stock
arrangements, adding and balancing the talents of the band and
re-arranging to fit. While he wrote many full charts himself, the demand
to play the continuing "hit" tunes of the week or month meant relying on
some stocks just to keep up. It was a common practice in that day.
The Clementine stock was recorded by several other bands of that time --
but once you hear them and then hear the Goldkette version you realize
that the key is not the chart, but in the talent that makes it their
own. That element -- taste if you will - cannot be written; but stocks
served their purpose of making a band commercially successful because
the public still anted to hear their favorite tunes of the day. Does
the  title "What a Wonderful World" hit a Bell?
Some have shuddered over that tune here on the list, but for Louis, in
his late life, it kept him widely popular with a wider public than might
have been the case.And bands today suck it up because when the paying
public requests it, the smart players play it, take their checks home to
the bank, and bitch in private.
Again, the key is the talent that makes any chart swing. And brother,
for me nothing every swung harder than the Goldkette Victor band when
they were ready to play. Flip that original Clementine side and give My
Pretty Gal a listen. Ventuti on fire, Brown's slap bass setting the
standard, and clarinet  soaring n contrast to Spieglwe Willcox's
straight melody. Thank you Mr Challis.for it. Swing? Swing? Like a
trampeze on steriods!
Don Ingle

Paul Edgerton passed on this::