[Dixielandjazz] Early Jazz Bands and musicians who read

jazzchops at isp.com jazzchops at isp.com
Sun Oct 14 16:12:22 PDT 2007

Marek,
Here's what I believe about Keppard. He studied with Adolphe Alexander,
Sr., who was a brass band player and a reader, not a jazzer. Yet Mutt
Carey stated that Keppard didn't have much formal music education, but
that he was a "natural" musician. But then, Freddie played in the Original
Creole Band with George Bacquet, who was a polished musician, and he
played for years with Charles "Doc" Cook(e)'s band in Chicago - which was
a big band and read charts. So, there is no conclusive evidence, I thought
best to put down he was a speller. And foolish me, I never thought to ask
Willie Humphrey, who worked with him, or Doc Cheatham, who heard him play
in Chicago.

Regarding Kid Thomas, I didn't include him because in my mind he comes
into the picture later, and the subject was early jazz bands. But thanks
for the info regarding his reading ability.

Sincerely,
Chris Tyle