[Dixielandjazz] Early Jazz Bands and musicians who read

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 15:34:41 PDT 2007

Hello,
Clearly, many of the early New Orleans musicians could read.  There
seems to be some evidence taht Freddy Keppard, although Creole, could
not (most Creole musicians could).  Some stories have it that the
non-readers joined playing only after havin heard a tune at least
once, and improvised the passages they missed.  I don't know whether
the ODJB could read or not, but tend to believe them.  Of course, J.
Russell Robinson, who replaced Ragas with the band, could (and,
according to the story, was asked not to admit it).  As to NORK, even
if Mares could not, the others could.
I don't remeber listening to the Durante band, but I have recordings
made in 1918 with Durante, and the band there plays the melody.  I
have not heard the Yelping Dog Blues, but I have heard other Original
Indiana Five records, and they si\unded quite well organized, even too
much so; rather than chaotic, they tended towards blandness.
I wonder why you have not mentioned "Kid" Thomas.  Sure, he did not
record in those days, only much later, but, despite his rather
"primitive" (i.e. - pre-Armstrong) style, he certainly could read, and
often brought new tunes for his band to play.
Cheers
SUPPORT LIVE JAZZ