[Dixielandjazz] Stock arrangements (was Candy Lips)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Oct 13 16:22:46 PDT 2007

Sheik wrote, in reply to Mattias:
> A lot more attention needs to be given the place of stock charts in the
> history of 20s-30s jazz. They reflected and codified the music styles
> of
> the era, and proved to my satisfaction that jazz can be written and
> arranged.

Dear David and Mattias,
Spot on.
A listen to the recordings from the 20s throws this up all the time, as
you are both aware.
A good example of this, which first brought it home to me back in the
50s, is the two 78 versions of "Too Bad" (Elmer Schoebel):
Abe Lyman's California Orchestra. Los Angeles, 2 Feb 1926
King Oliver's Jazz Band. Chicago,11 March 1926.
(Both available on CD.)
Kind regards,
Bill.