[Dixielandjazz] St Louis Blues - Why do bands play it diffrently from the original?

dwlit at cpcug.org dwlit at cpcug.org
Fri Oct 12 07:54:01 PDT 2007

I have Handy's "Blues: an anthology" in front of me. Seems to be the
original sheet music.

1. Intro 8 bars, only 4 of which have the tango rhythm. Sheet Music
usually has an intro, so I would discount its significance.
2. The usual A melody (I hate to see) 24 bars, which are 2 identical
12-bar segments, except bar 24 has the pickups for the
3. B section we think of as the Latin segment. 16 bars, of which only 8
have the tango rhythm. No double bars to separate the 2 sections.
4. the usual C section 12 bars with repeats.

The 24-bar A section has 3 24-bar lyric verses.
B has 3 verses
C has 5 verses

--Sheik