[Dixielandjazz] Performance "Order" of St. Louis Blues

Scott Anthony santh at pacbell.net
Mon Oct 8 21:54:53 PDT 2007

In the 1914 copy of the sheet music for the St. Louis Blues, there is a
"Tango" section of just 8 bars that is an intro with no lyrics. This is
followed by "I hate to see...etc." 24 bars (a "double" blues section) and
then "St. Louis woman...etc."  16 bars that is usually played, at least by
us, as a Tango. Then the non-tango "Got the St. Louis blues..." 12 bar
choruses, actually labelled as "Chorus."

Scott Anthony
Golden Gate Rhythm Machine