[Dixielandjazz] Bix: Interpretation Of A Legend Soundtrack

Steve Schwartz surveyme1 at optonline.net
Mon Oct 8 14:49:22 PDT 2007

I recently purchased the DVD of this movie which was made in 1990.

The soundtrack cd is out of print but it is one of the best recordings I have ever heard.

Some of the players include:

Bob Wilber
Kenny Davern
Dave Sager on trombone
Vince Giordano
Lino Patruno
Andy Stein on violin
Tom Pletcher on cornet
Keith Nichols on Piano

The movie was mediocre but had the look and feel of the 20s. Unfortunately, there wasn't much music in the movie
but the soundtrack is really amazing and
captures the excitement and feel of much of Bix's repertoire including in a Mist, Riverboat Shuffle, Singin' The Blues, I'm Coming Virginia and many others.

The fidellity and musicianship are first rate all the way.

If you are lucky enough to find a copy, then grab one.

Steve Schwartz