[Dixielandjazz] Jazz in Schools

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed Oct 3 07:21:20 PDT 2007

I truly think its got
> to be easier to play bad bop than bad  trad.

You have hit on something I have been saying for years and that is only a
few people have actually pulled off bop that made any sense.  The thousands
of imitators merely add to the noise with poorly done solos that usually
consist of as many bursts of notes as can be squeezed into a measure.  If
you say it's crap they come back with the musical snobs answer: "you just
don't understand".  Well actually I do understand and they are playing crap.

Did anyone sponsor the group's performance?  Many groups rent that hall (the
Sheldon)  Depending on the day of the week the cost is about $1500 so you
need about 100 paying customers at $15.  The last time I played there in a
pretty good musical review the guy that was putting it on lost his ass.  The
Sheldon's policy is: if you got the money honey I got the time.  The only
thing that you need is the desire to play there and enough advertising to
bring in paying customers.  Not an easy thing.  I hope they made lots of
bucks but by the time you pay the musicians and advertising you need a 50%
crowd or more just to break even.
Larry
St. Louis