[Dixielandjazz] PBS series "The War"

Dingo roadie at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 2 13:27:03 PDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: pat ladd

Hi Larry,

very intrigued by the Burns `War`. A mate in Maryland has already given me a
head up. I hope that we get it over here soon, it sounds pretty well done.

I am puzzled by the references to blackouts, rationing etc etc. All the
stuff which I have read by our servicemen who were sent to Canada for
training and to the US  to try and pass on battle experience to US fliers in
training have all talked of the shock of being in a country where the lights
shone brightly and food and drink were in good supply.

<snip>

Pat,

If you get chance to see the Spielberg film "1941" (it's often on Freeview
if you have that) it will sorta answer some of your questions <vbg>. A very
funny film IMO with - to keep it OT - one good big band/dance sequence a'la
"Sing, Sing, Sing". The soundtrack drummer was, I believe, Louis Belson.
~~
John D