[Dixielandjazz] The Lack of Music Programs in the Schools.

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Oct 2 10:02:27 PDT 2007

 Scott --- the
> wholesale drive to eliminate federal support for and effectively defund
> arts programs in public schools in the 1980s by the "you-know-who"
> administration, followed by the no-child-left-standing legislation has
> left us with this sorry state of affairs.
I think the problem gained momentum with a very few extremely controversial
works of art that were to many disgusting to say the least.  The "values"
people went on a crusade with thousands of school boards being taken over so
that control over education and the fostering of "values" whatever they are,
could be exerted.  While the arts have always been a target of the bean
counters the pace has quickened.  Those same people are also anti tax and
their politicians favorite line is "no more taxes" and hurl the "tax and
spend" line around as a tag line.  These same people hate Public
Broadcasting too.

So what we have is control at the local level, an anti arts bias coupled
with a tax phobia.  It's not surprising that the arts are taking it in the
neck.

The only school music programs that seem to do real well are coupled with
football games.

I suppose that I wouldn't mind so much if the sports programs were turning
out fine Americans with values but it seems that every week in the national
news some sports person or former sports person has done something really
bad like drugs, armed robbery and murder.  OOPS the glove didn't fit.

I think you could demonstrate that those programs have not worked, have
never worked and can never do what they are supposed to do and that is teach
values of sportsmanship, healthy and clean living.  What they do however is
make a lot of money for the schools. They are a cash cow that virtually
every school district milks.  The wonder to me is that there are any schools
at all that do not require the band to do football and basketball games and
that actually emphasize the music program.

Music education is an important as a business classes too.  Any student that
can stand up and play a solo will usually be able to public speak and
understands the relationship between hard work and preparation for success.
Music prepares kids to be able to present themselves in a favorable way
which is important to get jobs and be successful.  My grand nephew is in a
band that is going to attend band camp and take a trip to one of the bowl
games.  Each kid needs about a thousand dollars to do the trip.  That kid
worked for me and others all summer to earn the money so he can go.  I think
that's pretty admirable  and is teaching that kid a lot about hard work and
success along the way.  These I think are the true "values" that we should
be teaching.

I see no help for the situation except that we try to educate the public as
much as possible.  Unfortunately the tax paying public and the bean counters
don't want to understand the benefits of music education.
Larry
StL