[Dixielandjazz] "So What"

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 30 07:43:53 PST 2007

For a better version of Miles Davis' "So What", go to the below Amazon site,
scroll down and listen. Note that the horns play the exact blues melody that
Ray Ellington plays, while the bass plays a different line. Since this album
came out in 1959, well after the Ellington version, I guess Miles and/or Gil
Evans, sourced it from Ellington or the source Ellington used.

http://www.amazon.com/Kind-Blue-Miles-Davis/dp/B000002ADT

In any event, since the Miles version is from his Album "Kind of Blue", THE
most popular jazz album ever made, (over 3 million copies sold) no doubt
we've all heard it even if only as background music in a restaurant or
elevator.

Yep, I'll bet even that one eyed Bill Haesler had heard it by mistake, or
osmosis even though he would never listen to it on purpose. <grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone