[Dixielandjazz] Need help identifying tune

Dingo roadie at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 28 10:58:20 PST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: Dick Baker

If you folks have the time & inclination, please point a browser at
         http://dickbaker.org/ellington.mp3
and listen to the tune there.  It was played on a BBC radio show by the Ray
Ellington Quartet in the mid-1950s.

Does anybody recognize the melody?
~~~~~~~~

Dick,

It sounds familiar but perhaps only because I have heard it in one of BBC
radio's "Goon Show" programmes from the 1950/60s. Is this where your
recording came from ? If so do you know the name given to the actual show
....... each show had its own and often silly title e.g. The Dreaded Batter
Pudding Hurler of Bexhill on Sea. I have around 120 of these Goon Shows on
MiniDisc so it will take time to listen to the Ray Ellington feature in each
of these shows. Even then, there might be a problem of ID'ing that
particular tune as most of Ellington's contributions were not announced.

In additon to Ray Ellington (ldr, dms,voc) the other musicians were usually
Laurie Deniz (g), Coleridge Goode (sb) and Dick Katz (p). There is a bio of
him at: http://www.goon.org/usgoons/ellington.htm

~~
John D