[Dixielandjazz] ASCAP, BMI, etc.

Scott Anthony santh at pacbell.net
Wed Nov 28 09:16:40 PST 2007

I agree partly with what you are saying IF the money exchanged was being
distributed to the actual composers or, preferably, ORIGINAL, copyright
owners of the tunes we are likely to be playing.

However, from what I've read recently, the money collected is no longer
apportioned by these organizations according to the individual tunes that
are played. The formula for distribution to the copyright holders apparently
now is based on local radio play time. So, in San Francisco, for instance,
where there is no longer any real radio play time for OKOM, the money
collected from a venue basically goes to the composers of the rock and
country tunes being played locally. I'm sure it is a more complicated
formula than what I just stated, but that is essentially what happens. It
doesn't matter what tunes you play, whether they are PD or not, or whether
you wrote everything yourself. They'll still come after the venue if you
play them there.

For example, I read about one local bar in Noe Valley (part of San
Francisco) that hired a singer-songwriter who played ONLY his own tunes, and
the three organizations still demanded payment, which the bar owner refused.
They took him to court and won and practically put the owner out of
business. This definitely does not seem equitable to me.

One result of the heavy handedness of these folks is that venue owners are
reluctant to hire live music of any kind anymore in this area. As soon as
they advertise "live music," someone from ASCAP and BMI show up with a bill.
The local pizza place I played in for tips for about a year would not
advertise and hence not pay anything because he already had to pay $350 a
year just to play CDs and the year he paid Burt Bales to play piano one
night a week, he got charged about $350 from each of the organizations. He
decided he could not justify an extra $1000 a year for a place that only
holds maybe 60 customers.

It seems to me to be a pretty dumb, "shoot yourself in the foot" way to
handle things. One possible solution I thought of was to find a local
sponsor to start a live performance trust fund that local venues that wanted
to play OKOM could apply to for at least partial help in paying the fees.
Another would be to pass some of the responsibility to the musicians by
offering $20 a week to the venue in exchange for a long-term contract to
play.

Scott Anthony