[Dixielandjazz] No wonder live music is in trouble

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Nov 26 13:09:24 PST 2007

Every time I walk into the local Guitar Center, I am struck by the amount of
equipment being sold on a daily basis.  They are wall to wall with hundreds
of guitars, amps and literally tons of other equipment.  They have a huge
inventory and probably have to do $500 or more an hour just to keep open
considering the number of employees and other overhead.

They are selling enough stuff to completely equip a couple of bands a day
and that's just one store and that's not counting the other stores and the
i-net sales of musical equipment.

I would bet that all combined that you could equip six or eight bands a day
easily with all the stuff sold.

I understand that some of the sales might be upgrades or expanding what some
band already has but the sheer volume of musical equipment being sold must
make the number of bands around huge and growing every day.

All of these people want to turn a buck now and again and many just want to
get exposure and are willing to play for anything or I would imagine nothing
in most cases.

Fortunately for us they all fall into a rather tight bunch being some
derivative of rock, rap or country.   The point is that even the worst of
them score occasionally soaking up entertainment dollars.   Free or a round
of beers is too good to pass up for many potential buyers of music.

You all know my take on playing for cheap or nothing but it's getting to be
a challenge to play at all.

Everyone cries poverty.  I have found that it's not always true but it's
true enough to drive down the booking fees.

The reasons are many but we have people climbing all over themselves to play
for whatever here.

I guess I shouldn't say anything because I undercut the full size bands with
computerized musicians but it's the only way I know to stay regularly
employed and make any money.  If it weren't for that I would be playing two
or three times a month.  As it is I make a lot less playing with full size
bands and playing with them is almost my hobby now.

I see no end to the problem.  The only thing I can see is adapt or die.
That involves a whole bunch and requires us to be entertainers more than
musicians and businessmen more than hobbyists.
Larry
St. Louis