[Dixielandjazz] Rosolino discussion

Hal Vickery hvickery at svs.com
Thu Nov 22 07:10:50 PST 2007

Very up or very down.  That's the classic pattern of someone suffering from
bipolar disorder, a serious mental illness.

Referring back to some other comments in this thread about one's music being
a reflection of what is in one's heart:  My experience with mental illness
is different, schizophrenia rather than bipolar disorder, but I can say
this.  What the person I know does when going through a schizophrenic
disorder is in no way a reflection of what that person "really" is because
the person is ILL.

Sounds to me as if Rosolino was ILL.  It's sad, but he did give a warning
sign (saying that his kids would be better off dead after their mother
committed suicide), and sadly no one picked up on it.  But it's now pretty
obvious that Rosolino was a sick man.  I don't see how one can judge his
music based on that.

Hal Vickery