[Dixielandjazz] Louy McGarity was Black Trombone Players

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 18 10:12:41 PST 2007

"James Butler" <jbutler6 at twcny.rr.com> wrote:

> You have to be kidding!
>
> On Nov 18, 2007 8:46 AM, Robert S. Ringwald <robert at ringwald.com> wrote:
>> It amazes me that no one has mentioned one of my all-time favorites, Lou
>> Magarity (SP).

>> Unless he is not black?  But I thought he was.

One never knows do one? Reminds me of the shtick we sometimes use in Barbone
Street. We announce that the band is all Italian, even though the trumpet
player is Black, sometimes our trombone player is black and the drummer is
50% black/white.

Recently when I introduced the trumpet player as being "Italian" at a
retirement home gig, (Paolo Granti instead of Paul Grant) an elderly lady in
the front row loudly declaimed, "HE IS NOT."

We all cracked up and Paul said in his most cultured voice; "Certainly I am
Madame, I traced my lineage all the way back to Scipio Africanus."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone