[Dixielandjazz] Louis Armstrong Contract from 1945

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Nov 17 13:52:44 PST 2007

Steve Barbone wrote then quoted Mike Vax [both snipped]:
> Interesting to note that the musicians were paid various amounts, not
> all
> the same.
>
> Only two names that I recognize are Joe Garland and Velma Middleton.
> Does anyone recognize any of the other names?

Dear Steve,
Thank you for the off-list copy.
It was interesting to note that Velma Middleton was up there in salary
with the best in the band.
Louis had great respect and friendship for her, as was evident at the
infamous 1957 Newport Jazz Festival, when they didn't want Velma to
sing 'cause Ella was there.
She sang!
In answer to Mike Vax's question, another well-know name on the payroll
is trombonist 'Big Chief' Russell Moore.
Kind regards,
Bill.