[Dixielandjazz] Louis Armstrong Contract from 1945

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 17 07:16:14 PST 2007

Posted by Mike Vax on another list. If anyone wants the contract copy, and
musicians pay list as a jpg, please write me off list. (Ignore my spam
filter message, just put Armstrong in the subject header and I'll see it)

Interesting to note that the musicians were paid various amounts, not all
the same. And that this contract for $3750 total or $750 a day was a year or
so before the All Stars were formed.

The All Stars made that much and more with a band less than half the size of
this one, from day one.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

A student in my wife Peggy's Middle School Jazz Band told her that his
grandfather owned Sweet's Ballroom in Oakland, CA.  One of the really famous
west coast ballrooms that actually opened in the twenties. Well, he actually
brought in an ORIGINAL contract with Louis Armstrong and his big band.
Needless to say, I copied it and scanned into my computer.  What a treasure
this is!!!!!  Some of the typing is pretty light, so I'll put the details
here:

Date of contract: August 10, 1946
Sixteen Musicians
Dates of Employment: October 3-7, 1945
Wage agreed upon: $3750.00 against 50% of Gross Receipts.
The payroll sheet is also interesting.  (Especially the pay.)
Only two names that I recognize are Joe Garland and Velma Middleton.
Does anyone recognize any of the other names?
I LOVE having this and thought that you would all enjoy having a copy.

Mike Vax
PS - Look at all the offices of MCA at that time.  Boy, wasn't that the time
to have a band.  Booking agencies were in full swing and the CARED about
promoting jazz musicians.