[Dixielandjazz] Sound-file formats for CD player (was: Recitalson the Move)

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Nov 16 13:32:40 PST 2007

Brian - My DVD player will play a bunch of formats but WAV files are what is
on a CD for playing on a CD player.  Not all computers will make
satisfactory CD's for playing on all of the zillions of CD players out
there.

The CD's that I make on my HP computer do not for some reason like the CD
player in my car.  It takes about a dozen re inserts to get it to play
sometimes.  I cleaned the lens and that helped but some CD players are just
very picky about what they will play.

I would imagine that there is a freebee conversion program out there that
will convert the files to wav.

What are you recording with?  Your computer?  If it is your computer there
are programs out there that will turn your computer into a multi track
recorder and then you can save the files as anything you want then burn a
CD.

The program that comes with windows for recording is pretty primitive.

I would suggest that you invest the bucks and buy a portable recorder.
There are literally dozens out there.  The one I have is a ZOOM H4 and it's
an incredible machine.  The built in mikes are very good and can emulate
several different mikes.

Check it out.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ZOMH4

There are a couple of things I would like and that's a place to put it on a
mike stand but other than that it's an incredible piece of hardware.  It
will record 3 hours on a 2 gig chip.  And 30 or so in the MP3 mode.  You do
have to have software - included - to break the recording into tracks and do
some editing.

You can either take the chip out and plug it into your computer or use the
cables to download.  I prefer the chip in the computer to download.
Larry
St. Louis