[Dixielandjazz] Passport to Paradise

Andy.Ling at Quantel.Com Andy.Ling at Quantel.Com
Wed Nov 14 02:23:42 PST 2007

Bill Haesler <bhaesler at bigpond.net.au> wrote on 13/11/2007 21:12:45:

> Andy Ling wrote [in part]:
> > I recently heard a recording of the Bechet number Passport to Paradise
> > and fancy having a go a playing it...............
>
> Why?
> A nothing tune in my opinion.
> Just kidding. (Well a little bit.)
> 8>)

OK, I'll grant you it's not the most exiting tune, but I just fancied
having a play with it and see how it turns out.

> I 'd forgotten that I had it on two Bechet LPs (same version) until you
> mentioned it.
>
> > .........does anyone have anymore information about it.
> Recorded for Vogue in Paris on 26 June 1956 by Bechet with Andre
> Reweliotty & His Orchestra.
>  From the film 'Coquin de boubou', in which Bechet and the Reweliotty
> band appear.
> It was big on radio in France at the time, although Bechet only
> recorded it that once.
> Buck Clayton also recorded it in Paris, in May 1961.
> So did my Aussie mate Max Collie in 1977, then in London in 1978.

Thanks for the info. I haven't heard a Bechet version yet. It was
a recording of my mate Jack Gilbert playing with your mate Max
that put me onto the tune. Actually Max's only contribution
was to introduce the tune :-)

You can see it here :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KGjEJQglpg

All the best

Andy

--
This e-mail is intended for the named addressees only. Its contents may be
privileged or confidential and should be treated as such. If you are not