[Dixielandjazz] Bechet's main instrument

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 12 16:58:25 PST 2007

Being the devil's advocate, IMO Bechet's main instrument was the Soprano
even though he first learned on Clarinet and played it exclusively until
about 1920. He bought the "low pitch" horn during that year in London and
had it modified with a a double octave key.

According to Bechet (from John Chilton's Bio)

"Some of Bechet's colleagues in London regarded the purchase as a mixed
blessing, but Sidney was determined to achieve prominence on the instrument
and began featuring himself on the tune 'Song of Songs'. . . he was aware
that there was opposition to his new instrument and said later : ' Boy, when
I first started that Soprano, I'm telling you that the guys used to tell me,
Please play the clarinet. I used to say, Please leave me alone'"

Bechet later gave his reason for preferring the soprano saxophone to the
clarinet: "I could express myself, and I had a better audience."

IMO, since Bechet is best known for his Soprano work, and he preferred the
instrument to clarinet, and for the last 35 years of his playing life played
it much, much more often than clarinet, it should be classified as his main
instrument. Especially since Bechet had a dominant personality. The Sop Sax
enabled him to dominate in a band setting. It suited him perfectly.

Other views?

WIKIPEDIA:

"Sidney Bechet an American jazz saxophonist, clarinetist, and composer. . .
Bechet was born in New Orleans. From a young age, Bechet quickly mastered
any musical instrument he encountered. Some New Orleanians remembered him as
a cornet hot-shot in his youth. At first he decided on the clarinet as his
main instrument, and Bechet remained one of jazz's greatest clarinetists for
decades. However, he is best remembered as the master of the soprano
saxophone."

RED HOT JAZZ ARCHIVES:
"While overseas he bought a soprano sax and from then on it was his main
instrument."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone