[Dixielandjazz] Went to New Orleans on Saturday

Kent Murdick kmurdick at jaguar1.usouthal.edu
Mon Nov 12 06:43:38 PST 2007

I went to N.O on Saturday and played around a bit.  I did the Cafe Du
Monde with Hack (trumpet) for a couple of hours and then went over to
Royal street and played with Doreen (Clarinet), her husband Lawrence
(tuba) and a female guitarist from Los Angles, CA. I ended up in Jackson
Square and played a set with the guys there. The most interesting set
was playing with a brass band of kids under the age 13 near the French
Market.  There was one other adult playing tuba trying to keep them all
together. The trumpet player was not much bigger his trumpet.

If you get to N.O., look for Doreen on Royal St.- she plays the most
interesting repertoire.  She also plays everything in the original key.
If you play  with anyone else, be prepared to play all C tunes in Bb.
Also, they do a few Bb tunes in Ab.

Anyway, I heard Grandpa sing "Members Only" (I think that's the name)
which is perhaps my favorite R&B song and that did it for me. My college
age daughter went to the open house at U. New Orleans and had a great
time. The college  featured  a  jazz trio and excellent pastries/coffee
at the opening reception.  She liked the performing arts programs but
thought the rest of the school was lacking.

Kent Murdick