[Dixielandjazz] Music source

philwilking philwilking at bellsouth.net
Wed Nov 7 16:28:14 PST 2007

I have just returned from a small music convention held over the last
weekend. I was reminded there that some folks still may not know of an
excellent source of the original sheet music from which many traditional and
dixieland jazz numbers were taken.

It would seem that Dover Publications, Inc. of Mineola, New York, has
acquired the libraries of many music publishers from the "Tin Pan Alley"
era. They reprint collections of tunes in the complete piano/vocal form at
the lowest prices I know: a collection of 38 blues for $15; 88 songs from
about 1895 to about 1910 for $20.

It is in one of their collections that I found the original "That's Why They
Call Me 'Shine'" which was discussed here recently.

They also publish a huge list of other stuff.

Check out their catalog at: www.doverpublications.com

Be warned: your first purchase from them gets you on a mailing list which
never dies.

PHIL WILKING

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.