[Dixielandjazz] The union question and weddings

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed Nov 7 09:30:31 PST 2007

Few bands have the flexibility and repertoire to please such a diverse
group.  Today's weddings often require everything from rap and hip-hop to
big band.
_____________________________
You hit the nail on the head.  It's almost impossible to do all that.  I
work for a band on Sat nights that comes close and is a pretty good band but
it requires rehearsals and three singers.  The whole thing costs and arm and
a leg and because the pay isn't whole lots per man, no one wants to rehearse
anything new.  That's a sure death scenario.  I used to have a band that
would rehearse one night a week and we would work on what ever was hot that
week.  We did a passable job on it but we couldn't match all the electronics
or the sound that someone could come up with in a studio so no matter what
we did we couldn't be the same.

Another problem is that people listen to a wide variety of styles and they
want what they hear.  Three weeks ago we followed a string quartet.

I no longer and haven't tried for a long time to sell a wedding that
features the top tunes.  Instead I sell a traditional wedding band and make
no representation that they will get top 40.  I don't book many but when I
do people like what they get especially since I don't charge what the other
band does.  I tell them if they have special music I will DJ it for them.
Larry
St. Louis